What will the schedule be? This is the question on every Toonami fan’s mind, and the subject of many opinion threads. Well, here is what we know and what we don’t know.
- Adult Swim has not released an official schedule as of today, May 17, 2012.
- Toonami will be broadcast from Midnight to 6:00AM on Saturday night/Sunday morning.
- Some of the old Toonami shows will be included.
- Some anime new to both Toonami and Adult Swim will be included.
We know this because of the following exerpt from Adult Swim’s press release:
· TOONAMI – Beginning Saturday, May 26, Adult Swim brings back Toonami, the network’s popular block of
anime programming. Airing weekly from midnight to 6 a.m. (ET/PT), in addition to the return of previous series featured in Toonami, Adult Swim is also developing new original anime programming for fans.
There is much controversy around the statement “developing new original anime programming.” Some say that this means they are doing join production ventures, as they have done in the past with The Big O II and IGPX. Others say that this is just PR speak for licensing new anime for broadcast. Perhaps it means they are funding the dub for some newly licensed anime which was previously only subtitled. Another theory is that they are producing American cartoons that are anime inspired. Whatever it is, I think a mix of old school and totally new is exactly what they need.
The only bad bit of news here is that time slot… but I’ll get into that in another article.